Welcome, guest! Please login or register.

* Shoutbox

RefreshHistory
    • Kozs: I'm 23 years old now in 2020, oh have I grown up and Moparscape still has a spot in me heart
      October 25, 2020, 04:20:01 PM
    • Kozs: Love you moparscape, joined here in 2011
      October 25, 2020, 04:19:36 PM
    • iddsyou: great RSPS! [link]  Join us on Discord! [link]  Download: [link]
      October 04, 2020, 03:52:32 AM
      October 04, 2020, 03:51:57 AM
      October 04, 2020, 03:51:56 AM
      October 04, 2020, 03:51:51 AM
    • ragnoroker: Zalcano - Releasing in 4 hours! - Perfect OSRS server - Discord:[link] Website: [link]
      September 18, 2020, 01:00:43 PM
    • ragnoroker: Zalcano - Releasing in 4 hours! - Perfect OSRS server - Discord:[link] Website: [link]
      September 18, 2020, 01:00:38 PM
      September 18, 2020, 01:00:33 PM
    • abtekk: BlazeScape - RSPS Reimagining of 2007! - Launch Tomorrow > www. blazescape .net
      September 18, 2020, 08:10:09 AM
    • no1toldme2: Killerville
      September 07, 2020, 05:18:36 PM
    • Shady Aftermath: Best DreamScape Remake, 2500 Customs! Free Donator!  www. fire-ps .com
      August 28, 2020, 11:53:20 PM
    • Shady Aftermath: FirePS is the best DreamScape Remake www. fire-ps .com
      August 28, 2020, 11:53:05 PM
    • Shady Aftermath: Try FirePS Best Dreamscape remake [link]
      August 28, 2020, 11:52:40 PM
    • Shady Aftermath: Best DreamScape Remake, 2500 Customs! Free Donator! [link]
      August 28, 2020, 11:52:27 PM
      August 28, 2020, 11:52:24 PM
      August 28, 2020, 11:52:21 PM
      August 28, 2020, 11:52:18 PM
      August 28, 2020, 11:52:15 PM
      August 28, 2020, 11:52:11 PM

Author Topic: Rationality and Belief in God  (Read 10735 times)

OfflinePaulT

• View Profile
    Re: Rationality and Belief in God
    « Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:34:35 PM by PaulT »
    Runescape Gambling

OfflineRodgerwilco

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 02:24:26 AM »
    A theory is never claimed to be true. That is why it is a theory. This is the scientific method, of course, which I wholeheartedly believe in. Science never says "We know for sure that X is Y." It says, "Our best method for understanding X is to model it as Y". So scientific theories are not "Proven Wrong" they are simply replaced by more accurate models and modes of understanding. It is a pragmatic approach to the universe, not an authoritarian one.

On the other side, theories can be proven to be "true" and will move out of the "theory category". Which never get accepted by Religons anyways because it is "Science". Or better yet, they will claim that we have discovered some insight on "gods" creation.

Hundreds of years ago :
    The earth is the center of the universe (due to religious influence, specifically "Romen Catholics")
    The sun is the center of our solar system (oh lets adapt it into our religion or accept it)

Now something that irritates me is that the "Bible" will promote gender equality AND female inferiority but never male inferiority. What are your thoughts on this?

You are essentially expressing the basic idea of atheistic materialism, which has no answer for the law of Bio-genesis, or of consciousness.  "Omne vivum ex vivo" ?

Atheists are simply categorized as "not beliving in god". Wouldn't my statements be classified as "Scientology". Lets recap on my statements and if you identify one that you do not agree with, point it out.

The sun provides our Earth with a wonderful deadly ray which our Earth has the right material to protect itself from.

The sun fuels life.

Everything grows because of the sun.

It causes skin cancer

Grows your fruits and vegetables.

Thus we are a form of cancer constantly creating a fresh human so that we can battle the clock.

I am taking what I observe and coming to a conclusion, you on the other hand are reading a book and day dreaming about it. There is no proof for what you have to say, only a book that has been constantly rewritten and changed to keep the manipulated.. well manipulated. But the book/transcripts have not been rewritten, how do you know? Have you gone back and found the original documents and have read the original words? Or do you trust a book and someone telling you that its legit to believe in it.

It's the same concept with the internet, I don't believe everything that is on the internet is correct or "true". Yet all this information is posted here. My claim, I don't need the internet for. I can simply go outside and observe it. The internet has been constantly updated/revised since its existence. Similar situations.

RSC Update: JMods still lack interest. Lots and lots of debating.
    Another Update: Jagex still doesn't a fk. GG Community

OfflinePaulT

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 10:04:33 PM »
    On the other side, theories can be proven to be "true" and will move out of the "theory category". Which never get accepted by Religons anyways because it is "Science". Or better yet, they will claim that we have discovered some insight on "gods" creation.

Hundreds of years ago :
    The earth is the center of the universe (due to religious influence, specifically "Romen Catholics")
    The sun is the center of our solar system (oh lets adapt it into our religion or accept it)

Now something that irritates me is that the "Bible" will promote gender equality AND female inferiority but never male inferiority. What are your thoughts on this?

The bible is not a scientific text. It's a spiritual text, about the heart of mankind, it's not about quantifying the universe, it's about qualifying it. Now there is no real conflict between science and religion. Copernicus proved the earth was the center of the universe, and it wasn't really a big deal for the Catholic church at the time. Later, they fought Galileo tooth and nail over his political points, because he wasn't afraid to make the political Church (not the true, invisible and universal Church) look stupid. This illustrative of the wider point that you have political dingbats in every religion, in every country, and in every school, who will fight and fuss and turn anything into a bureaucratic nightmare (ever read Kafka?). Science can measure an atom, it can help us to span the stars or conquer mother nature, but in the end it does not give any meaning or nuance to life, and that is what the spiritual pursuits of religion can do.

As far as gender equality, there are no laws in the new testament except the perfect law of love under Jesus Christ. Christians need not accept every word in the Pauline letters as a creed, and they need not even assume that Paul the Apostle is absolutely correct in everything he says, though some churches will push that opinion on to you. The epistles are, rather, an illustration of the early church and an exposition of how a group of people solves their disputes and issues through the grace and acceptance of a benevolent deity. So when Paul speaks of homosexuals burning in sin for one another or women not being allowed to speak in Church, he is talking about specific problems that his community was going through. You can't really take these passages out of context and expect all Christians to understand them. Unfortunately many Christians will do just that. They don't understand the historical context of what they are reading, and so they cannot perform a proper exegesis on the text and understand what the author was saying and why they were saying it.

Atheists are simply categorized as "not beliving in god". Wouldn't my statements be classified as "Scientology". Lets recap on my statements and if you identify one that you do not agree with, point it out.

The sun provides our Earth with a wonderful deadly ray which our Earth has the right material to protect itself from.

The sun fuels life.

Everything grows because of the sun.

It causes skin cancer

Grows your fruits and vegetables.

Thus we are a form of cancer constantly creating a fresh human so that we can battle the clock.

I am taking what I observe and coming to a conclusion, you on the other hand are reading a book and day dreaming about it. There is no proof for what you have to say, only a book that has been constantly rewritten and changed to keep the manipulated.. well manipulated. But the book/transcripts have not been rewritten, how do you know? Have you gone back and found the original documents and have read the original words? Or do you trust a book and someone telling you that its legit to believe in it.

It's the same concept with the internet, I don't believe everything that is on the internet is correct or "true". Yet all this information is posted here. My claim, I don't need the internet for. I can simply go outside and observe it. The internet has been constantly updated/revised since its existence. Similar situations.

I actually agree with you.

I would never ask you to believe anything that is not confirmed by empirical evidence.

So I simply ask you to observe life. From whence did life arise? Life only comes from other life. This leads to the inevitable conclusion that either life is infinite or that the original thesis is wrong and that life must have been formed from something other than life. And, as proven by Louis Pasteur, life cannot come from matter. This means that there is either an infinite life force in the universe, or something other than matter or life exists. Either way, you are left with the inevitable conclusion that God exists.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:33:50 AM by PaulT »

Offlinejme

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »
    So I simply ask you to observe life. From whence did life arise? Life only comes from other life. This leads to the inevitable conclusion that either life is infinite or that the original thesis is wrong and that life must have been formed from something other than life. And, as proven by Louis Pasteur, life cannot come from matter. This means that there is either an infinite life force in the universe, or something other than matter or life exists. Either way, you are left with the inevitable conclusion that God exists.

Do you mean the first life on earth/universe? Then you are wondering how we went from molecules to cells? It took over a billion years for the first rna molecule that could replicate itself. The rest is just natural selection and evolution.

Now when did the first consciousness arrive. This is something we might never understand. Even simple life forms can show signs of anxiety. I tend to assume that our consciousness too is a product of evolution. That there are different levels and scales of consciousness, cognition etc. For humans in particular it was our greatest survival feature.

So again I end up thinking that when we die, it'll be just like before we were born. Non-existent in all forms.

Enjoy reading your posts as I've had my own experiences.
    Good night, don't let the machine elves bite.

;)

Copyright © 2017 MoparScape. All rights reserved.