Welcome, guest! Please login or register.

* Shoutbox

RefreshHistory
    • OracleScape: Bump my server and play [link]
      Today at 06:08:29 PM
    • OracleScape: BUMP my thread please [link]
      Today at 06:08:00 PM
    • stCky: idk man im just a chat bot
      August 22, 2017, 11:14:52 PM
    • symantec: is this forum
      August 22, 2017, 09:02:56 PM
    • symantec: what the fudge
      August 22, 2017, 09:02:52 PM
    • symantec: I just joined to download datmaker, the links are broken and a user named i nelson i has a fudgeing weird signature
      August 22, 2017, 08:59:33 PM
    • stCky: ur so cool and edgy
      August 22, 2017, 04:15:50 PM
    • Deathspirit: anyways, i'm un ip banned now.. but don't even want to be that at this point lmfao
      August 22, 2017, 01:58:14 PM
    • Deathspirit: now it's some sell out half leeched server :')
      August 22, 2017, 01:57:53 PM
    • Deathspirit: gf moparscape, was the best rsps community i've been on since 2006
      August 22, 2017, 01:57:31 PM
    • stCky: yeah, nah. it's cooked. [link] might help u with a backup or something idk man im just a chat bot
      August 22, 2017, 12:13:25 AM
    • flew420: I sure hope someone has a copy of the forum before it was recked
      August 21, 2017, 11:40:52 PM
    • flew420: O wow i see now, just read thru all the news articles. :(  i've been out of the game for a couple years so coming back to this shit is sad.
      August 21, 2017, 11:39:46 PM
    • flew420: Huh?
      August 21, 2017, 10:49:51 PM
    • stCky: got bought by a russian dude, he put a shitty rsps on it for donations, now no one cares
      August 21, 2017, 10:48:30 PM
    • flew420: I came on for some nostalgic reading in old classic development, and it only goes back to 2014 wtf.
      August 21, 2017, 10:43:09 PM
    • flew420: what happened to this site??
      August 21, 2017, 10:42:36 PM
    • Sean56:[link]
      August 21, 2017, 05:33:45 PM
    • kb010: how can i play? i downloaded the client and it doesnt open.
      August 21, 2017, 10:52:56 AM
    • wodkode: shut it down or fix it
      August 20, 2017, 10:11:28 PM

Author Topic: YOU DO NOT NEED A VIRUS SCAN FOR A SERVER!  (Read 62686 times)

Offlineskeebo

• View Profile
    YOU DO NOT NEED A VIRUS SCAN FOR A SERVER!
    « on: July 14, 2008, 01:16:38 AM »
    VIRUS SCANNERS DO NOT DETECT VIRUSES IN SERVER FILES!!
    unless they are in executable form.

You can't put viruses into Java applications! Plus Java Code made to do damage will NOT be detected by a virus scanner.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:46:39 PM by skeebo »
    Date Registered: April 30, 2006, 07:45:23 AM
    get a pc from at least the 19th century

Offlinestormcutter

• CBA to Post
      • View Profile
    Safety info.
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:43:46 AM »
    Some downloads are now containing viruses and trojans and more.  If the malware is in .exe form, then it will be detected if you scan it with one of these.  If it is not and the virus is written in the server, then the scanner will not detect it, so DO NOT rely on scanners.

https://www.virustotal.com/
    https://virusscan.jotti.org/
    https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/business.html_us/business.html_ca/forHome/products/housecall.html
    https://usa.kaspersky.com/
    /toolbox/

If there is no .exe, it doesnt mean you are safe.  On your runserver.bat, right click it and press edit.  If it says anything .exe or "del" do not use the server.  Many people try to delete your hard drive or activate a virus by doing that.

Ways to prevent/fix viruses

If you are unfortunate and get a virus or trojan, Then download one of these.

free.grisoft.com
    /norton-offer/pctEOL/=google_av&gclid=CPiVuJvxrYwCFSDrYAodfmtwOQ
    =jimmy777&&gid=1068739735&oid=1296250392&aid=
    https://www.avast.com/index

Thanks and stay safe.

Here is some information on what a virus is and what it does.

What is a virus?

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer without permission or knowledge of the user. The original may modify the copies or the copies may modify themselves, as occurs in a metamorphic virus. A virus can only spread from one computer to another when its host is taken to the uninfected computer, for instance by a user sending it over a network or carrying it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, USB drive or by the Internet. Additionally, viruses can spread to other computers by infecting files on a network file system or a file system that is accessed by another computer. Viruses are sometimes confused with computer worms and Trojan horses. A worm, however, can spread itself to other computers without needing to be transferred as part of a host. A Trojan horse is a file that appears harmless until executed. In contrast to viruses, Trojan horses do not insert their code into other computer files. Many personal computers are now connected to the Internet and to local-area networks, facilitating their spread. Today's viruses may also take advantage of network services such as the World Wide Web, e-mail, and file sharing systems to spread, blurring the line between viruses and worms. Furthermore, some sources use an alternative terminology in which a virus is any form of self-replicating malware.

The term comes from the term virus in biology. A computer virus reproduces by making (possibly modified) copies of itself in the computer's memory, storage, or over a network. This is similar to the way a biological virus works.

Some viruses are programmed to damage the computer by damaging programs, deleting files, or reformatting the hard disk. Others are not designed to do any damage, but simply replicate themselves and perhaps make their presence known by presenting text, video, or audio messages. Even these benign viruses can create problems for the computer user. They typically take up computer memory used by legitimate programs. As a result, they often cause erratic behavior and can result in system crashes. In addition, many viruses are bug-ridden, and these bugs may lead to system crashes and data loss.

There are many viruses operating in the general Internet today, and new ones are created and discovered every day.
    What is spyware?

Spyware is computer software that is installed surreptitiously on a personal computer to intercept or take partial control over the user's interaction with the computer, without the user's informed consent.

While the term spyware suggests software that secretly monitors the user's behavior, the functions of spyware extend well beyond simple monitoring. Spyware programs can collect various types of personal information, but can also interfere with user control of the computer in other ways, such as installing additional software, redirecting Web browser activity, or diverting advertising revenue to a third party.

In response to the emergence of spyware, a small industry has sprung up dealing in anti-spyware software. Running anti-spyware software has become a widely recognized element of computer security best practices for Microsoft Windows desktop computers. A number of jurisdictions have passed anti-spyware laws, which usually target any software that is surreptitiously installed to control a user's computer.

Tool-bars can contain spyware:

What is a trojan?

In the context of computer software, a Trojan horse is a program that installs malicious software while under the guise of doing something else. A Trojan horse differs from a virus in that a Trojan horse does not insert its code into other computer files and appears harmless until executed. The term is derived from the classical myth of the Trojan Horse. Trojan horses may appear to be useful or interesting programs (or at the very least harmless) to an unsuspecting user, but are actually harmful when executed. (See Social engineering.)

Often the term is shortened to simply Trojan.

There are two common types of Trojan horses. One is ordinary software that has been corrupted by a hacker. A cracker inserts malicious code into the program that executes while the program is used. Examples include various implementations of weather alerting programs, computer clock setting software, and peer-to-peer file sharing utilities. The other type of Trojan is a standalone program that masquerades as something else, like a game or image file, in order to trick the user into running the program.

Trojan horse programs cannot operate autonomously, in contrast to some other types of malware, like viruses or worms. Just as the Greeks needed the Trojans to bring the horse inside for their plan to work, Trojan horse programs depend on actions by the intended victims. As such, if Trojans replicate and distribute themselves, each new victim must run the Trojan. Therefore their virulence is of a different nature, depending on successful implementation of social engineering concepts rather than flaws in a computer system's security design or configuration.

In the field of computer architecture, 'Trojan Horse' can also refer to security loopholes that allow Kernel Code to access anything for which it is not authorized.

This is taken from wikipedia.
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:49:44 AM by stormcutter »

Offlinesnake4444100

• View Profile
    Re: Safety info.
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:47:12 AM »
    wrong sec m8
    <br /><br />[URL=http://falador.info

Offlinexx qwertyuiop xx

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:11:45 AM »
    No, this is good.

Offlinestormcutter

• CBA to Post
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:27:59 AM »
    wrong sec m8

It belongs here so people can keep their computers safe.

Offlinecocoa

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 02:30:30 AM »
    yep nice little tut safety thing you got here

OfflineScyrnn

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04:57 AM »
    Nice job.

I know you want a sticky.

So don't flame him guys

Don't we all want our posts stickied?

So shutup and think for all you flamers out there.

Although I suggest changing your title to
    "Keep you computer Safe"
    ~or~
    "Beware of harmful programs"
    i once shoved a dildo up a cow and it screamed

:|
    I love spam.

Offlinestormcutter

• CBA to Post
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:13:33 AM »
    thanks

Love your sig btw

Offline_Reforced

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 04:32:11 AM »
    Stop trying to get stickied topics and feel important.

I'm tired of people like you.
    /face

Offlinersfreak

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 08:04:51 AM »
    for the first time i agree with _reforced
    making updates for 503 servers

Offlineakl

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »

I don't agree with that.
    Although he does want it stickied, he took the time and is helping kids out there.
    Last night more than half of the people took that FTP Keylogger which works for RuneScape too as real, when it wasn't.
    Now all of you know this next time think 10 times before you download.
    yh i comes up wid a lil dog saying what do u want to search i put in makeglobalobject notin comes up

Offlinesnake4444100

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:00:02 AM »
    some people are obserd and still use them and there comps crash u should get someone to stikey this..
    <br /><br />[URL=http://falador.info

Offlinekingchrist3

• View Profile
      • Realm-Scape!
    « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
    Nice
    If You Share What You Know, We Will Also Become Smart.

OfflineTico

• All good things must come to an end.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »

Regardless, this time it worked.

Good job.
    <EhPrettyEasy> how do i link with html
    <frank_> <a href="http://google.com">use it, faggot</a>

Offlinestormcutter

• CBA to Post
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
    Thanks tico :).

Offlineskeebo

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »
    Yeah thanks for locking mine, all he did was copy and paste, plus he got the idea from me posting mine.

I disagree with your post on my topic, Tico. If the mods were doing their job they would have already restored/replaced Cheese Police's topic.
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:30:13 PM by skeebo »
    Date Registered: April 30, 2006, 07:45:23 AM
    get a pc from at least the 19th century

Offlinebrovolll

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 05:25:34 PM »
    goodjob and thanks -.- i scanned a source with the web u gave me it had a hardware deleter -.- now im going to crach the sever of the motha [beep] that gave me this anyways thanks buddy
    L33t list.
    Code: [Select]
    ''Rich, DD, Reforced, Si Force, Galkonspride, Musicmad441, Call of Duty, M,i,k,e.

OfflineMrs Extro Limited

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »
    firstly posted by me.
    I have nothing much to say from a few things. Moparscape.org started off a nice little community where people could help others and advise other of private server related things, nowadays moparscape is more like a spam feast for spammers, big fat ugly spammers that flame and think they are good, but guess what, their not! Your not!

Mods come Down!

Offlinetnt pk

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 07:26:38 PM »
    firstly posted by me.
    No ?

BTW : here is my one i made a while ago maybe easier to understand :
    ~~ Thank`s  Tnt Pk

OfflineShoplifter0

• View Profile
    Re: YOU DO NOT NEED A VIRUS SCAN FOR A SERVER!
    « Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:19 AM »
    yeah i just got a trojan removed from my hardrive....

Copyright © 2017 MoparScape. All rights reserved.