Welcome, guest! Please login or register.

* Shoutbox

RefreshHistory
    • ASDss: where do u download source and clients now
      August 18, 2017, 10:39:31 PM
    • ASDss: yo
      August 18, 2017, 10:39:20 PM
    • dan v jad: click me 4 da fun ;)[link]
      August 18, 2017, 04:39:58 PM
    • stCky: Palidinho is your OpenGL (was it OpenGL?) stuff open source anywhere?
      August 16, 2017, 09:07:22 PM
    • Travas:BUILD THE WALL
      August 15, 2017, 09:28:49 PM
    • Travas: i have ass cancer
      August 15, 2017, 09:23:29 PM
    • stCky: what are the fudge are you tryna ask?
      August 15, 2017, 08:21:35 PM
    • bader: what are the rsps community alive ?
      August 15, 2017, 05:46:16 PM
    • bader: yo guys
      August 15, 2017, 05:46:08 PM
    • Spacehost:[link] Updated our thread :)
      August 15, 2017, 09:40:34 AM
    • Adaro: The client is in Download section at Homepage
      August 15, 2017, 01:09:20 AM
    • FaTe_Of_GoDs: where do i get the client?????????????
      August 14, 2017, 05:23:14 PM
    • stCky: can anyone help me? I cant login to the shoutbox
      August 13, 2017, 05:45:15 PM
    • drubrkletern: appeal denied
      August 13, 2017, 02:35:27 PM
    • King_Trout:[link]
      August 13, 2017, 11:17:12 AM
    • Cole1497: no sorry
      August 13, 2017, 10:27:14 AM
    • ayz: yo can anyone explain something to me
      August 13, 2017, 08:08:51 AM
    • coolking12: Hi
      August 13, 2017, 04:16:06 AM
    • stCky: n+1
      August 11, 2017, 06:09:24 PM
    • PalidinoDH: How many more pages are going to show errors before this dude gets on and fixes shit
      August 11, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

Author Topic: Codename::World - Freeform sandbox dynamic voxel game  (Read 13905 times)

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    Codename::World - Freeform sandbox dynamic voxel game
    « on: March 23, 2015, 05:55:53 AM »

Codename::World is a project of mine that I've been dreaming of making for years. I posted a prototype of it ages ago.[/url] It's a freeform mesh-based voxel game and plans on making everything changeable by the player. In my opinion, the biggest downfall Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, Grand Theft Auto, etc. is the limits they impose. In fact, that's my problem with all video games. There's too much useless visual content and world objects that vary only visually, and it's hard to get immersed in a paper world. I've spent the past few years devising a way to change all that.

Check out the game's website!

Implemented Features
    • Programmed in native C++ using raw DirectX 10
    • Dynamic mesh generation on CPU with infinite threading support and GPU using geometry shader
    • Infinite multi-threaded world loading
    • Adding/removing mesh
    • Blocky or smooth shading
    • Skylight
    • Point lights
    • Colored lighting
    • Day/night cycling
    • Light updating with mesh modifying

Planned Major Playable Features (see below for more details on each)
    • Planets & finite generation
    • Devices
    • Organic DNA-based planetary life (plants & creatures)
    • Element-based materials
    • Weather
    • More REALLY cool stuff, but I want some stuff to be a surprise :)

Planned Technical Features
    • Linux/Mac, OpenGL, and DirectX 9/12 support (IA pipeline stage and CPU-GPU commands are currently biggest bottlenecks. DirectX 12, OpenGL 5 and Mantle would GREATLY improve performance)
    • Eye-candy (fancy shaders)
    • Bigger optimizing on world loading and lighting
    • Variable world data formats (necessary with memory constraints)
    • World "models" (aka spots in the terrain that require sub-sampling)
    • Everything necessary for entities & animated models
    • Physics
    • Multiplayer
    • World saving
    • Camera targets & full input customization

Things I'd Love to Implement but Would be Very Challenging, so We'll See One Day
    • Ship building & Space (flying to randomly-generated planets)
    • Level-of-detail terrain (very complicated with dynamic marching cubes)
    • Shrinking to travel and modify the world in a 1/16 scale

Major Feature Details

Planets & Finite Generation
    This is kind of self-explanatory, but worlds will consist of randomly generated planets. Everything inside of them will be different - how harsh the terrain is, what the terrain is made out of, how intense the skylight is (if there is a sun), the sky(light) color, the resources you can find inside of it, the type of organic life on the planet, the atmosphere and weather, and more. Until I (if I even) implement space and traveling to planets that way, you will be able to generate portals to planets and customize their "ingredients". This means you feed the portal or whatever objects, it breaks the objects into their materials, it breaks down the materials into their elements, and changes the planet's properties accordingly. Such properties include the amount of organic life on the planet, the type of organic life, the amounts of specific elements, how deep the caves will be, what kinds of resources will be obtainable, etc. I believe this will be the most important to keep the game fresh and exploring fun.

Devices
    A big chunk of the fun of the game is everything will run on little devices. Your tools, creatures, and whatever you want to build to get things done automatically or use logic. In fact, I've built a prototype of how it will work! There will be two different types of components - logic and outer-world. Logic components will do things like split an electrical signal in two, do math, etc... in the circuit. Outer-world components interact with the world outside the device. Feed signals to activate them, etc. If it's worth anything, I have quite a few credits in electrical engineering so this should make things logical and (hopefully) fun.

Organic DNA-based planetary life (plants & creatures)
    One of my favorite parts of the game, plants and creatures will have their genes generated randomly, and their resulting mesh (and behavior) depends on those genes. So at a certain point in the game, you'll be able to capture an organism's DNA and modify it to clone your own. Let's look at plants and creatures individually:
    • Plants - Plants will be a part of the terrain and their mesh will be generated using sub-sampling. The materials in the mesh, how small the mesh is, and the way the mesh grows will all be determined by their genes. Obviously, plants will need specific resources to grow. Sunlight, water-type material (materials will all be randomly generated, so for clarification, read below)
    • Creatures - Creatures will follow a specific format and won't have to be like animals/humans as we know them. They can take on any shape, as their genes will decide (similar to plants). They will have different pieces (like limbs) connects together with a specific "life" element. Life elements are the heart and soul of a creature, and limbs will need these connected to function. The coolest part here is damaging a creature will actually break apart the mesh, so for example, shooting an enemy will actually create a hole. Breaking apart the "life" element will cause the limbs to break off completely. I plan on making creatures controlled by devices, so there will be pre-defined and growing behavior for enemies that runs off of customizable devices. I'd like to have damaging enemies tinker with their devices, so over time, hurting an enemy will break its logic and behavior so it will glitch out.

Element-Based Materials
    The next biggest feature is the flexibility and randomly-generated of materials. This is what everything will be made out of. There will be a pre-defined long list of elements and their behaviors, how they act when interacted with, and how they change a material's appearance. While I'd love to make everything here extremely flexible here, but unfortunately, computers aren't advanced enough to make a billion different appearances. Instead, visually, elements will have traits broken down into the following: color, luminance, reflective (for fancy shaders down the road), bumpiness, hole-ness(will create spots and cavities on the texture), line-ness (will create lines on the texture), organic-ness, shading (adds a slightly random value to the color in various spots), and anything else I can come up with. I think this is flexible enough to create most materials we see in real life. Add combining elements, and materials get very interesting very quickly.

There is a whole other category for behavior as well: structure (whether or not the material flows, and how quickly), solidity, temperature, opacity (how light travels through it), and other properties related to organisms.

Weather
    This one is kind of self-explanatory, but there will be dynamic planet-based weather. Clouds will generate over time and eventually cause rain once they are thick enough. Storms and other natural disasters will stem from this as well, since any extra challenge that you can build a defense for adds so much to a game.

Your and My Concerns
    Okay, so there is a lot in the works, as you can see. You're probably thinking, "That feature list is huge. There's no way you'll ever finish this!" and you're right! The feature list is huge! But it's all things I've thought out over a long period of time. There's a reason this project was put on hiatus and has officially been in the works for well over a year with not a whole lot of content to show. Plus as I mentioned in the header, I dropped out of college to work on this project. Am I foolish for doing so? You decide, but this project is basically my life-long dream and I won't be abandoning it. I love working on it day-in and day-out.

Now onto my concerns. My biggest fear is this game is too ahead of its time. It will take a lot of deep thinking and optimizing, but even then, it's likely you'll need a high-end computer to run it. The texture map for materials alone will probably huge, although I'm thinking I might be able to cut some corners here and append the texture as necessary when materials are created, and used 16-bit colors or something. I'm sure there are ways to make it work, definitely, but ways of making it work on low-end computers is unlikely. My goal to have creatures run off their own devices will be tricky as well, because this means their AI won't be programmed natively. I guess it all depends on the types of components available and how complex the circuits are. But again, this is content way down the line. Other than these things, I'm happy to say we're still in the clear.

Screenshots

How Can You Help?
    I'm glad you asked! The biggest thing you can do is SHARE the project! Share videos, screenshots, forum posts, anything. Please. I desperately need people to spread this around. I will be launching a low-goal Kickstarter for this project one day, so please consider supporting me then too by donating and/or sharing. Thank you! :)

~Lin
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:03:07 PM by Lin »
    <ry60003333> i was too busy waiting for this dollar i found on the floor to respawn
    <Avail> so it's pretty cool to throw my penis around
    A tree falls out of the bird's nest.

:palm:

Offlinedoom_j

• i like the company of men
      • View Profile
    Re: Codename::World - Freeform sandbox dynamic voxel game
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
    Looks great!

But where is the donation shop???
    [12:18:14 21:04:45]<<Tom>>i dont care about your rights
    [12:18:14 21:04:49] <<Tom>> you have NO RIGHTS

OfflineVain_

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:41:11 PM »
    can i be admin

OfflineAshi

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »
    What is infinite threading?

Offlinetyb97

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
    Looks great!

But where is the donation shop???
    You have to use a teletab.

can i be admin
    he already promiesd me admin dood

On topic. It's hard to visualize your goals by watching the video, which is understandable but I do wish you the best of luck. I'm currently working on a game that I've been working on with 2 friends of mine for the past 9 months. There's so many ideas you can have, getting them in the game is the hardest transition for me. I hope to see all of these ideals come to life, as well as mine. Hopefully I'll get to see both our dreams side-by-side in some game client some day.
    what if i want to stick it in? you got a problem with that?

OfflineRuneAgent

• wololo
      • View Profile
      • MITB FORUMS
    « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »
    CONCERN: In fact, I dropped out of college to work on it.

GIRL WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? THAT PAPER IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "CAN I TAKE YOUR ORDER PLEASE" AND HAVING STABLE INCOME

sure maybe you will make it big with this game, you might also fail you putz.

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
    What is infinite threading?
    It means there can be an infinite amount of threads dedicated to generating mesh, so a 64-core CPU someday will be able to run the game blazingly fast.

On topic. It's hard to visualize your goals by watching the video, which is understandable but I do wish you the best of luck. I'm currently working on a game that I've been working on with 2 friends of mine for the past 9 months. There's so many ideas you can have, getting them in the game is the hardest transition for me. I hope to see all of these ideals come to life, as well as mine. Hopefully I'll get to see both our dreams side-by-side in some game client some day.
    Yeah, the video is just showing off the finished lighting, not any of the content goals. It happens to be the latest video. But yeah, you're right, creating content is very difficult, but that's why it's important to design everything ahead of time and make it all fit together.

CONCERN: In fact, I dropped out of college to work on it.

GIRL WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? THAT PAPER IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "CAN I TAKE YOUR ORDER PLEASE" AND HAVING STABLE INCOME

sure maybe you will make it big with this game, you might also fail you putz.
    I knew I'd have to explain that. There are many reasons I chose to drop out. I hated my major and already switched it once, it was far away and I had no transportation since my car just broke down and no way to change my classes to be online, my school had lied to me hardcore and the classes were awful, and most importantly I was already like $25,000 in debt and would be $75,000 when I graduated. I didn't want to graduate with a degree I hated to have to use to get a job primarily to pay off my loans. I'd rather "Can I take your order please" for 8 hours and program something I could potentially make a living off of than dedicate my life to electrical engineering. That shit sucks unless you love doing repetitive complicated math, which I don't. One day I'll probably go to a different college and major in computer science but can't right now.
    <ry60003333> i was too busy waiting for this dollar i found on the floor to respawn

Offlinesini

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »
    You can change majors yaknow

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »
    While I appreciate the concern, I would appreciate it even more if discussion was limited specifically to the game and not my life choices. If it's that interesting to you, shoot me a PM. Thank you :)

OfflineFrell

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
    really cool

Offlinedoom_j

• i like the company of men
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
    Lin i'll let you finish in a minute, but Taharok made the best game of all time! of all time!

Now I do have a few questions. Is this the same voxel game you were working on like 2 or so years ago? Also will you die again like 2 years ago?
    [12:18:14 21:04:45]<<Tom>>i dont care about your rights
    [12:18:14 21:04:49] <<Tom>> you have NO RIGHTS

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
    Lin i'll let you finish in a minute, but Taharok made the best game of all time! of all time!

Now I do have a few questions. Is this the same voxel game you were working on like 2 or so years ago? Also will you die again like 2 years ago?
    Taharok's game is pretty sweet, I will admit. I can't wait to play it. This game does borrow many of the ideas I had for that game, like the "life element" connecting limbs of creatures, the randomly generated planets that you could alter by feeding in ingredients, making your own weapons, and some other stuff. But the problem with that game was I hadn't figured it out. I wrote the voxel engine to work one way and designed the game to work in another. Then I started changing my mind about how I wanted lighting to work, and the game just lost all hope. The engine needed to be optimized too.

So I took a long break from that and this is the product of all the ideas I've been toying around with in my head. All of the code written is built around the ideas I have, so everything should flow smoothly.

OfflineDavidi2

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »
    Looks cool. Makes me wish I knew more than jack shit about 3D programming.

OfflineBowser jr

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
    Do you plan to implement modding support? Because it is modding that have given Minecraft several times more features than Mojang can ever dream of implementing themselves.

And think about reworking your world hardware designer. It is much more complicated than it needs to be. Working with signals in that way will just make it harder for people to make what they want, and anything complicated will drain the CPU.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:21:25 AM by Bowser jr »

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »
    Do you plan to implement modding support? Because it is modding that have given Minecraft several times more features than Mojang can ever dream of implementing themselves.

And think about reworking your world hardware designer. It is much more complicated than it needs to be. Working with signals in that way will just make it harder for people to make what they want, and anything complicated will drain the CPU.
    No, I don't plan on it. It's way too ahead of time to be thinking about modding support, and with the creativity this game allows, modding will likely be nearly obsolete. This game is being designed in a way that tries to make external programming unnecessary to implement features. I want everything to be doable in-game. The hardware designer is very old and in no way a final design at all. It's just meant to show the basic idea of how circuits will function. But thank you for the input.

Also, regarding your concern for draining the CPU, that's a valid concern of mine too. However, the way circuits are ran works in an event-like manner. Say one frame, the circuit is powered on. The next frame, all of the power sources drain power and create a signal to the wires being connected. The next frame, those signals move along the wire. The only way to lag the game is to have thousands of complicated circuits, which is highly unlikely, especially since only basic arithmetic will be done a majority of each frame.
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:15:57 PM by Lin »

Offlinesorecheeny

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
    Omg this looks awesome. I'd love to play this in the future.
    First go into client.jar (client sided)

LOL.

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 02:58:15 AM »
    Omg this looks awesome. I'd love to play this in the future.
    Thank you so much, it means a lot. I'd appreciate it if you shared this game with your friends :)

Some very good things happening under the hood. I've implemented caching whole batches of terrain data to calculate lighting and generate mesh, so there have been massive performance boosts. We're talking up to 5x loading speed and guaranteed proper chunk connecting. There's also an optional world preview feature where chunks that have been loaded but don't have their neighbors fully loaded can be rendered using a wireframe.

I've also turned on anti-aliasing because it looks great with interpolated shading, which isn't enabled here.

OfflineBowser jr

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »
    When do you think you have something to show that isn't just basic terrain generation found in countless other games? Right now it seems like your ambitions are far away from what you actually want to accomplish.

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:42 AM »
    When do you think you have something to show that isn't just basic terrain generation found in countless other games? Right now it seems like your ambitions are far away from what you actually want to accomplish.
    Well, the terrain generation is just simplex noise and is just a placeholder used for benchmarking and testing. I'm not trying to sell the game based on that feat alone, but rather what's big features are currently working - infinite fast world loading, modifying mesh, lighting, etc. Currently I'm optimizing lighting and fixing some corners I cut, and once that's done (a day or two, ideally) I'll be implementing materials.

As for my ambitions being far from what I want to accomplish, most of what I'm doing ties into everything else. The same code I write for the terrain rendering, terrain modifications, light updates, etc... will be used by everything else that involves mesh. I guess you could say right now I'm working on the engine and have yet to start the content, but the engine is the hardest part of this project due to how carefully and well-designed everything has to be written.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:36:30 AM by Lin »

Offlinereyx7

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »
    Since you've dropped out to work on this, obviously you will need to acquire some sort of income with the release of this game. What's your approach to this? Find another company and get dividends or would you host it all yourself with fees directly to you?
    Max characters: 250; characters remaining: 204

Copyright © 2017 MoparScape. All rights reserved.