Thank you very much everyone for the positive feedback. It's very encouraging. I'll get around to releasing wallpapers soon, but in the meantime, here's a progress update. I don't have anything to show because I've been having some real life problems, but I've been doing lots of researching and toying with ways to improve the performance. It's at the point where I'm seriously considering redoing the core and water physics, maybe getting rid of colored lights, and considering what direction to take textures if the level of detail thing works out.
I really don't want to start the whole world processing stage over again, but after looking at Seed of Andromeda and other voxel engines, it inspired me to re-think what's possible. I've taken a lot of shortcuts to get where I am now, but they're not paying off. Recently some of the optimizations I've made have made draining the ocean almost possible without lag, but without redoing water physics entirely, water doesn't settle quick enough to prevent lag and upwards of 60K+ updates. These kinds of things need to be multi-threaded, which they aren't, and just everything sort of needs to be cleaned up. Cache hits are pretty trash after I discovered I could profile those, and I've thought of ways to really save on memory that would require the core to be ripped out anyways.
The whole reason this is even a concern is because it's going to inhibit gameplay. I've planned for fast physics and massive destruction, but unless the game runs extremely well, neither of those can be implemented and that's going to really ruin some of the game. So, I'm considering creating a test project using cube voxels where I implement a massive world and level-of-detail and once it's done, build it into C::W. Thanks all for the support so far and hopefully this won't take long, and more importantly, it will pay off.
TL;DR - I'm possibly redoing the core to allow for massive render distances, faster world loading, better water physics, and overall better performance.