General Interests & Hobbies > General Programming

Multi thread downloader

<<< (3/4) >>>

Davidi2:

--- Quote from: Roar337 on March 20, 2016, 09:02:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: Davidi2 on March 17, 2016, 11:58:19 AM ---The bottleneck is the clients download speed and servers upload. This is useless. Jaggrab was designed to request the needed files in the right order.

--- End quote ---

Jaggrab is flawed.

Edit: I finished my downloader unfortunately lacking the feature to resume but it's capable of preforming a cache update almost instantaneously by using the previously discussed methods.

Also my jaggrab I'm not sure if they all do this or not but my jaggrab only works on main idx files making it super slow and it also requires a server this downloader however is entirely client sided so it won't continuously open massive download connections on your vps.

--- End quote ---
The cache is hosted somewhere, whether that's on your 'server' VPS or on a different hosting site like dropbox or whatever, there's no such thing as a '100% client sided downloader'. Jaggrab is DESIGNED to request the cache files that are needed, saving you bandwidth in either case.

"Cache update almost instantly". Yea, I bet you're "updating" from files on your local PC, rofl.

Roar337:
@Sk8r This is so bad!!! why do you want to download 500mb worth of main cache files when you can preload models and download the folder and all the models and put the existing cache and the download together?

Downloading a full cache is a 30m-1hr process the process I described finishes in mere seconds and I'm aware that smaller files take longer to download when there is a large quantity and I thought of the solution of just creation new idx files once it came to that point if it ever did.

@Davidi you're mistaken I shouldn't say this is 100% client sided the files are hosted on a website however there is nothing to do there but upload it somewhere the downloader tracks all the files their names and their sizes and besides the website does not require a server sitting on vps.

Also @Davidi It's true jaggrab does request only the NEEDED files the problem here is it deals with unnecessarily large files say you add a model with the size of 1kb to the main idx file jaggrab will end up downloading the whole idx because it is a packed file the whole idx being between 200-500mb in size for a single 1kb update which should be processed instantly.

If one desired to keep everything packed perhaps the models should be downloaded from somewhere as needed AND THEN packed by the client.

RuneAgent:

--- Quote from: Roar337 on March 22, 2016, 08:41:24 AM [email protected] This is so bad!!! why do you want to download 500mb worth of main cache files when you can preload models and download the folder and all the models and put the existing cache and the download together?

Downloading a full cache is a 30m-1hr process the process I described finishes in mere seconds and I'm aware that smaller files take longer to download when there is a large quantity and I thought of the solution of just creation new idx files once it came to that point if it ever did.

@Davidi you're mistaken I shouldn't say this is 100% client sided the files are hosted on a website however there is nothing to do there but upload it somewhere the downloader tracks all the files their names and their sizes and besides the website does not require a server sitting on vps.

Also @Davidi It's true jaggrab does request only the NEEDED files the problem here is it deals with unnecessarily large files say you add a model with the size of 1kb to the main idx file jaggrab will end up downloading the whole idx because it is a packed file the whole idx being between 200-500mb in size for a single 1kb update which should be processed instantly.

If one desired to keep everything packed perhaps the models should be downloaded from somewhere as needed AND THEN packed by the client.

--- End quote ---
you have absolutely no idea how the client updater works and should probably reevaluate the code dipshit.

sini:
you stick benie babies into a water pipe
you get 5 people to stick benie babies into a water pipe
but water pipe can only take so many benie babes even if you have 5 people shoving stuffed animals into the pipe
the pipe is your moms butt
same concept
it doesnt make it faster

sk8rdude461:

--- Quote from: Roar337 on March 22, 2016, 08:41:24 AM [email protected] This is so bad!!! why do you want to download 500mb worth of main cache files when you can preload models and download the folder and all the models and put the existing cache and the download together?

--- End quote ---
The compressed cache files you create would be smaller than the "models and existing cache".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version