Welcome, guest! Please login or register.

* Shoutbox

RefreshHistory
    • stCky: idk man im just a chat bot
      August 22, 2017, 11:14:52 PM
    • symantec: is this forum
      August 22, 2017, 09:02:56 PM
    • symantec: what the fudge
      August 22, 2017, 09:02:52 PM
    • symantec: I just joined to download datmaker, the links are broken and a user named i nelson i has a fudgeing weird signature
      August 22, 2017, 08:59:33 PM
    • stCky: ur so cool and edgy
      August 22, 2017, 04:15:50 PM
    • Deathspirit: anyways, i'm un ip banned now.. but don't even want to be that at this point lmfao
      August 22, 2017, 01:58:14 PM
    • Deathspirit: now it's some sell out half leeched server :')
      August 22, 2017, 01:57:53 PM
    • Deathspirit: gf moparscape, was the best rsps community i've been on since 2006
      August 22, 2017, 01:57:31 PM
    • stCky: yeah, nah. it's cooked. [link] might help u with a backup or something idk man im just a chat bot
      August 22, 2017, 12:13:25 AM
    • flew420: I sure hope someone has a copy of the forum before it was recked
      August 21, 2017, 11:40:52 PM
    • flew420: O wow i see now, just read thru all the news articles. :(  i've been out of the game for a couple years so coming back to this shit is sad.
      August 21, 2017, 11:39:46 PM
    • flew420: Huh?
      August 21, 2017, 10:49:51 PM
    • stCky: got bought by a russian dude, he put a shitty rsps on it for donations, now no one cares
      August 21, 2017, 10:48:30 PM
    • flew420: I came on for some nostalgic reading in old classic development, and it only goes back to 2014 wtf.
      August 21, 2017, 10:43:09 PM
    • flew420: what happened to this site??
      August 21, 2017, 10:42:36 PM
    • Sean56:[link]
      August 21, 2017, 05:33:45 PM
    • kb010: how can i play? i downloaded the client and it doesnt open.
      August 21, 2017, 10:52:56 AM
    • wodkode: shut it down or fix it
      August 20, 2017, 10:11:28 PM
    • wodkode: dude i cant goto no links on here from google
      August 20, 2017, 10:11:13 PM
    • Dell: Greetings
      August 20, 2017, 11:56:30 AM

Author Topic: Can't we use the RS2 server/client as our own game engine?  (Read 1327 times)

OfflineSnow_

• View Profile
    Title says it all.

I'm not really that active in the rsps-development scene so my knowledge about this topic might not be all that accurate.

However, I wonder why people tend to keep the gameplay of their servers as close to RS2 as they possibly could?
    Is this due to most projects being done by incompetent programmers - under which category I also fall, or are there other reasons I'm just not aware of?

A while ago I seem to remember someone releasing a RSPS based on a The Hunger Games scenario.
    Why don't people throw away the concept of staying as close to the real game as they can, and start experimenting with what their own creativity offers?

As the RSPS community seems to keep on declining, this might be a nice twist?

Offline_nova

• View Profile
    Re: Can't we use the RS2 server/client as our own game engine?
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:58:50 AM »
    Cause its a lot of work. Like not even joking. To probably understand how the renderer works you need to at least have finished calculus 2, or just study matrices, affine transformations, vectors. These are all pieces of linear algebra and you can take a kahn academy class for the basics. But anyway, these also a lot of design principles in the client and if you dont adhere to how jagex laid out the client it'll just be like starting from scratch. It isn't plug and play, you have to figure out the method to their madness. Plus a lot of modern engines use GL or DX; that of which isn't as well understand in the more recent builds of runescape compared to the old ones (but funnily enough I find it easier to understand whats going on in the GL renderers than the inhouse because there are plenty of resources on the subject, jagex also tended to optimize the matrix operations so it isn't as obvious).

A lot of games started as mods to a game. That will probably happen to Runescape eventually. A hunger games server isn't really that, its more or less just a game mode of Runescape like DMM.

Offlinelare69

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »
    because the ones who want to do that kinda stuff aren't good enough and the ones who are good enough don't care or don't have the time
    hi. check out luna:)

OfflineRuneAgent

• wololo
      • View Profile
      • MITB FORUMS
    « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
    actually a few people have used it, at the very least newbiehacker used a portion of the rs engine to write an isometric engine im not sure if the source can still be found on these boards but its worth a gander.  Also I believe someone on r-s was also using the RS engine for his own project however I do not know how far it went.  If you want the easy way out don't use the runescape engine directly Jagex had a few games prior to runescape on its site one of them was qbert clone. Although this engine is not as complex as Runescape 2 it has a similar feel and would work fine for easily creating your own single player game. The source to it has been posted on these boards a few times both refactored and not. The bigger issue at hand is if you are going to put the time and energy into creating a game you don't want to get fudgeed over stealing someone elses copyrighted engine as you will be putting your work into the garbage once Jagex catches on.  You have plenty of free opensource game engines to choose from so you should have no need to use the RS engine directly.  That being said you can learn a lot by playing around with the engine as Jagex is quite resourceful when it comes to making their engine run smoothly on minimal hardware (I am speaking of anything prior to the whole clusterflutter era and the shitty stringwrapper era so anything below 508)

OfflineSnow_

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I may have used the term 'Game Engine' wrongly.

With Game Engine I wasn't really pointing to the ability to change the client's graphics. Which I think you mean by talking about understanding how the renderer works, Sini?

Also, I know there are free opensource Game Engines on the market.
    I've been recently experimenting with Unity and the Google Cardboard SDK to create some VR-games - oh god imagine Runescape in Virtual Reality?

What I was actually talking about is probably better described as a different goal of the game using the same graphics, items and such.
    Like, take the Hunger Games scenario I was talking about earlier. You wouldn't need the skills and leveling and such, only a basic but good combat experience and some objects over the map. Spawning some mobs randomly over the terrain doesn't seem like a hard thing to do in a server?

Offlinearham 4

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
    Then that's not the game engine??
    lolol remember when mopar was a thing

OfflineSnow_

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »
    Then that's not the game engine??

Yeah we've accomplished the fact that my terminology was poorly chosen :p

The real question would be: why don't people create creative RSPS'?

Offline_nova

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »
    God the string wrapper is so annoying

Offlinearham 4

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
    Said this a while ago in Rune-Server, alot if people agreed.

I quit the RSPS scene because the work I put in didn't get what it deserved. Leeches get more players than actual effort, or are actually dared to be considered on par. RSPS is dying because of the "lack of innovation." "Nothing new." The reality is when you bring that, nobody comes. The true poison within our community is a strong sense of negativity rather than appreciation.
    lolol remember when mopar was a thing

OfflineSnow_

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
    Said this a while ago in Rune-Server, alot if people agreed.

I quit the RSPS scene because the work I put in didn't get what it deserved. Leeches get more players than actual effort, or are actually dared to be considered on par. RSPS is dying because of the "lack of innovation." "Nothing new." The reality is when you bring that, nobody comes. The true poison within our community is a strong sense of negativity rather than appreciation.

Welp, that's sad to hear.
    However, I think I'm going to give it a try! Not to gain any money or anything, but just because it seems like fun to create it.

OfflineJaydenD12

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »
    It's what players demand. Most of the server advertisements (especially sponsored ones) you come across flaunt their "new" content, that's ripped straight from OSRS. When a player connects to a new server, if it doesn't have Kraken, Blowpipe, Zulrah, etc; they instantly leave. It's pretty pathetic.

I tried to be unique with Epicurus, and it did gain me a sizeable playerbase initally, but masses of people would leave when I refused to add content from the latest Runescape release. Of course I eventually gave in. It's all about keeping up with Runescape, if you want players.
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:12:58 PM by JaydenD12 »
    20% cooler

OfflineVix

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
    I've known a few people who have used parts of RuneTekk to fill in gaps in their own game engine. The problem with this is when you hack parts of multiple engines together the code almost always turns out ugly and unmanageable.
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:24:15 PM by Vix »

Copyright © 2017 MoparScape. All rights reserved.