RuneScape 2 Development > General Server Discussion

Tree Reviews ParagonX - With Developer [HD] - #5 From GoodScape/BadScape Series

Pages: <<< (2/6) >>>

sini:

--- Quote from: Tree on April 02, 2015, 02:54:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: sinisoul on April 02, 2015, 02:47:10 AM ---What are your standards of a good server?

--- End quote ---

Valid question.

- If the server is at release stage, I'd expect stability or a relatively bug free experience. So I'd generally be looking for any visual problems or any problems with the core mechanics of the server (whatever they may or may not be). This is in testing so it's not applicable in this case. The features that I was shown but wasn't able to include all demonstrate this to some degree.

- I look for unique ideas being implemented. In this case, there are a few there. The way crafting was described to me, it's a very fleshed out system. I've seen peeks at it and it seems to be coming along nicely. I do like how the phone app is integrated into the character progression but not in a way that it excludes people from content.

- I look for donation problems or signs of P2W. From what I understand, majority of the income will come from the ads within the phone application or cosmetic gear.

- I look for the hint of a story. He actually has a dedicated writer creating a story that actually impacts how the player will interact with the game later on. It's an interesting concept and It's more unique than just dumping players into a world with no lore.

- I look for a decent hub that doesn't force the population to be spread out unless there's a larger memberbase. With this one, all skills can be leveled from within the town.

As well as that, I look for signs that developers care a lot about their creations and that they will be around long enough for it to be worth investing time into it.
There are more items of the criteria list but they're the main ones. The intention of this video is to encourage a developer branching out and trying something new. Even if it's a failed attempt, it's one step towards something different.
This one is a good start, even if not completed. But like I said, it's private testing at the moment and development is based off player suggestions.

--- End quote ---

I think one thing that turned me off from deeming this 'good' and not 'okay' was the lack of polish, even in testing. But that is just my opinion. Especially with the fact that it has teleports, like directly to areas, embedded into menus. That idea seems really off putting and is an idea used for a long time because of the lack of support of other critical development features that a server must possess to take it to the next level.

I bolded what I thought we would agree upon.

I italicized what I disagree with. Runescape is meant to embody a world adventure feeling. Adventuring around a town and not utilizing the awesome map you have to work with is disheartening and makes a RSPS feel empty. In my opinion of course however approaching how to fill a map up properly is a challenge since I'm going to fathom these guys don't have the technology to be able to easily add in content to various parts of the map in a short manner of time.

Also lord that client looked ugly, but that's mostly because of the distortion that a full screen 317 client provides. I wish people would replace the software renderer with opengl however as far as I remember the understanding of how textures work in clients like that is not completely understood but I have heard the phrase used before. Someone please remind me.

When are you going to review the official server or should I get in contact with you about that? :P

PSA: I have high standards.

rmark45matsu:

--- Quote from: sinisoul on April 02, 2015, 03:10:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: Tree on April 02, 2015, 02:54:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: sinisoul on April 02, 2015, 02:47:10 AM ---What are your standards of a good server?

--- End quote ---

Valid question.

- If the server is at release stage, I'd expect stability or a relatively bug free experience. So I'd generally be looking for any visual problems or any problems with the core mechanics of the server (whatever they may or may not be). This is in testing so it's not applicable in this case. The features that I was shown but wasn't able to include all demonstrate this to some degree.

- I look for unique ideas being implemented. In this case, there are a few there. The way crafting was described to me, it's a very fleshed out system. I've seen peeks at it and it seems to be coming along nicely. I do like how the phone app is integrated into the character progression but not in a way that it excludes people from content.

- I look for donation problems or signs of P2W. From what I understand, majority of the income will come from the ads within the phone application or cosmetic gear.

- I look for the hint of a story. He actually has a dedicated writer creating a story that actually impacts how the player will interact with the game later on. It's an interesting concept and It's more unique than just dumping players into a world with no lore.

- I look for a decent hub that doesn't force the population to be spread out unless there's a larger memberbase. With this one, all skills can be leveled from within the town.

As well as that, I look for signs that developers care a lot about their creations and that they will be around long enough for it to be worth investing time into it.
There are more items of the criteria list but they're the main ones. The intention of this video is to encourage a developer branching out and trying something new. Even if it's a failed attempt, it's one step towards something different.
This one is a good start, even if not completed. But like I said, it's private testing at the moment and development is based off player suggestions.

--- End quote ---

I think one thing that turned me off from deeming this 'good' and not 'okay' was the lack of polish, even in testing. But that is just my opinion. Especially with the fact that it has teleports, like directly to areas, embedded into menus. That idea seems really off putting and is an idea used for a long time because of the lack of support of other critical development features that a server must possess to take it to the next level.

I bolded what I thought we would agree upon.

I italicized what I disagree with. Runescape is meant to embody a world adventure feeling. Adventuring around a town and not utilizing the awesome map you have to work with is disheartening and makes a RSPS feel empty. In my opinion of course however approaching how to fill a map up properly is a challenge since I'm going to fathom these guys don't have the technology to be able to easily add in content to various parts of the map in a short manner of time.

Also lord that client looked ugly, but that's mostly because of the distortion that a full screen 317 client provides. I wish people would replace the software renderer with opengl however as far as I remember the understanding of how textures work in clients like that is not completely understood but I have heard the phrase used before. Someone please remind me.

When are you going to review the official server or should I get in contact with you about that? :P

PSA: I have high standards.

--- End quote ---

To address your point about the exploring the world, the PvE quest line is mainly exploring while the PvP line is more centralized. When the dialogue get's added it will be more clear when the decision is made.

Also, you can play the game in regular mode or full screen mode, as expected.

I appreciate your feedback and I'll make a note of it.

sini:

It's not about the choice of full screen or not its the lack of polish. The critical review I have of any server is the amount of polish involved in various features.

rmark45matsu:

--- Quote from: sinisoul on April 02, 2015, 03:22:03 AM ---It's not about the choice of full screen or not its the lack of polish. The critical review I have of any server is the amount of polish involved in various features.

--- End quote ---

Adding a full screen feature to this client was a new feat for us, it's improving slowly.

Again though, appreciate the feedback.

RuneAgent:

oh man that jarring skill

Pages: <<< (2/6) >>>

Go to full version