Welcome, guest! Please login or register.

* Shoutbox

RefreshHistory
    • Striker Fox2: Much more on General Board
      Today at 04:30:25 AM
    • Striker Fox2: New price guide link [link]
      Today at 04:30:18 AM
    • Striker Fox2: New discord link [link]
      Today at 04:30:03 AM
    • Saltyspade10: If you are new and reading this, stick around becaus it's a great server and community! Hope to see you in-game :)
      Today at 02:44:16 AM
    • damian6: hello i wanne buy this server can u add me
      October 20, 2017, 03:54:38 PM
    • Wilkooo: lol jks
      October 20, 2017, 02:39:53 PM
    • Wilkooo: ilyall
      October 20, 2017, 02:39:48 PM
    • tm4dz: why cant i see any download links??
      October 20, 2017, 10:46:55 AM
    • stCky: u dont need to its fudgeing sick
      October 19, 2017, 08:13:13 PM
    • odin stormborn: how do i change my username
      October 19, 2017, 12:16:51 PM
    • qazplm102938: everyone play manicps its best server out there loads to do its badboyyyy - manicps manicps shout out kiteshield
      October 19, 2017, 10:28:21 AM
    • qazplm102938: everyone play manicps its best server out there loads to do its badboyyyy - manicps manicps
      October 19, 2017, 10:11:08 AM
    • Travas: wtf
      October 19, 2017, 07:37:52 AM
    • stCky: Adaro, you are a threat to the communities image, yes
      October 18, 2017, 02:53:43 PM
    • Krackkid: Hello everyone it is I, Krackkid.
      October 18, 2017, 07:21:56 AM
    • soma_: Does anyone have an updated link to a blank Source / Client? 317/508
      October 18, 2017, 04:57:44 AM
    • michaeltrailer: olm t pst
      October 18, 2017, 04:52:48 AM
    • Adaro: Strange that staff think I'm a threat when I'm not threatening anyone
      October 18, 2017, 03:07:16 AM
    • Adaro: My Skype is: Mod Adaro
      October 18, 2017, 02:47:02 AM
    • Adaro: Make sure to PM me if you need help on Moparscape. I can answer any questions.
      October 18, 2017, 02:46:48 AM

Author Topic: Understanding: Why not Delta?  (Read 910 times)

Offlinefuzzout

• View Profile
    Understanding: Why not Delta?
    « on: September 26, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
    Hai,
    I've been on this forum for a while (hah, a few years; blimey). And since the birth of proper OOP within the RSPS community, Deltascape bases have been shunned as the worst thing in existence; but it seems to me that nobody ever explains why. People just get told "Ew, Delta; I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole held by someone's dead hamster in a contained vacuum chamber inside a bunker in another country on a different continent.".

So as someone who's created two (pretty cool, albeit lacking in some respects) servers using this source; I can safely say I've learned its ins and outs.

So here goes: These are the reasons you SHOULDN'T use Deltascape as a base!
    • Deltascape is NOT Object Oriented Programming; the code methods used within this source should be called "FilthScribbles" or whatever; because it genuinely is - just blocks of junk.
    • Deltascape runs all of the players off a single thread - IN SEQUENCE (of 500ms cycles), what does this mean? - It means that if you click, you may have to wait up to half a second for your 'turn' to have your command processed; not only that - if there's A LOT of players online - you will have to wait even longer.
    • Deltascape has no in-built collision checks of any kind. It basically relies on the client to do the work; and between the start-and the-end of your characters walk path, the source doesn't know where this character is. This also means no player-following, which also means PvP will be more frustrating than enjoyable.
    • Deltascape has a lot of unused or flat-out flawed code; namely - the legendary refreshSkills() which floods the client with packets on EVERY SINGLE ATTACK.
    • Deltascape npcHandler is a mess, there's a lot of rewriting to be done, should you want to use this source for a proper PvM server.
    • Two-clicks: will be required for most of the interactions; this is because process() cannot invoke an action in the client, that's simply not how it works. So if you click on an agility obstacle, the character will walk there and stop; because the server cannot initiate the action; the same thing applies other things as well.
    • Deltascape has a very fat client.java; splitting it would be an inconvenience because as mentioned before: the server does not employ Object Oriented Programming.

There are of course more reasons than this, but I feel this should be sufficient... If you are looking to start a server in order to learn something about Java (doesn't matter what reasons you have for it, don't let anyone tell you to NOT do it, just do what you like) - then avoid Delta, anything you learn from that source will damage your future ability both in Java and even the use of other sources.

If you wonder what a good base might be: Try Hyperion or Asteria; those are good. They're pretty blank and not filled with strange things.

Just don't do what I did (my addiction to Delta started with Cheezscape back in dem early days) and once my current server is finished content-wise; I'll be pushing myself to learn how to use Asteria to re-create the same thing, just better.

-Fuzzout

P.S. If anyone ever asks you why Delta is bad, just show them this.
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:55:33 PM by fuzzout »
    I use Deltascape because I can code fast and fix bugs literally before the person has finished explaining them.
    If you ever wanted to see your idea in an RSPS, PM me; tell me your idea. If it fits the theme, I'll make it reality.

OfflineJustin Bieber

• View Profile
    Re: Understanding: Why not Delta?
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
    Deltascape runs all of the players off a single thread - IN SEQUENCE (of 500ms cycles), what does this mean? - It means that if you click, you may have to wait up to half a second for your 'turn' to have your command processed; not only that - if there's A LOT of players online - you will have to wait even longer.
    wow, so if 4 people click at the same time, one persons click is going to take 2 full seconds to process? no wonder my old delta server maxed out at 50 players

Offlinelare69

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
    a lot of things here are incorrectly explained or don't make much sense (just bc of the terminology used) but thanks regardless
    hi. check out luna:)

Offlinearham 4

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 09:06:38 PM »
    Don't think many people use Delta anyways...
    lolol remember when mopar was a thing

Offlineasshole_rule

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:33:25 AM »
    i don't think anyone who actually looks at this thread needs any convincing to not use delta
    the strongest super saiyan on moparscape

I'd also like to say that rep abuse is an offense, and one member of this topic has had their rep locked due to it.

OfflineWelliton_inc

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
    There are problems with every base. There is no flawless base to use within the RSPS community. Delta is not very efficient, but neither are PI, allstar, Czar, (Apollo to some extent) etc etc. Delta implicitly paved the way for the creation of many other bases.

I made a Delta server because 1. Delta was pretty popular back in 2010 and 2. I like the work required to make a server like Delta into a decently efficient server.

I'd rather play a delta server with a competent coder who knows how to fix bugs than a child who downloaded a relatively efficient base but doesn't know what to do once they encounter a game breaking bug.

Also Delta is a pretty popular base, alot of people enjoy playing delta-based servers. Most of the Delta servers posted on the advertisement thread now look fun to play and have a certain level of uniqueness to them. whereas other servers I can not say the same thing.
    Quote from: sk8rdude461
    It's not unique. You wanna know why there's no server out there like it?
    That Logic doe....

OfflinePure_

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »
    good thread rix didnt address these before :o:o:o
    i won the forum

Copyright © 2017 MoparScape. All rights reserved.