RuneScape 2 Development > Official Server Discussion

Moparscape - Scripting API: Resources

<<< (2/5) >>>

Rodgerwilco:
Look at the awesome responses due to the new scripting language impl. I think you would have more people willing to write scripts if you just kept it in java.

tyb97:
Good job Sini. I won't help only because Garry's Mod taught me that I do in fact hate Lua in many, many ways.

sini:

--- Quote from: Rodgerwilco on April 11, 2015, 08:19:54 PM ---Look at the awesome responses due to the new scripting language impl. I think you would have more people willing to write scripts if you just kept it in java.

--- End quote ---

And I think I'll reiterate the question of; why don't people get it through their skulls that java is NOT a good language to write all this content in? What advantages does Java pose as a language for people to script in, other than, it's well known in the community. A lot of good language practices do not align for ease of access in terms of how content should be written and there are too many variables to couple with content logic in a clean and efficient manner, especially since you want to avoid global state while most scripting languages like Javascript, Lua, and Ruby either have support for globally scoped variables or actually encourage them.

I'm not catering to all of you. I'm catering to those of you who are willing and skilled enough to take advantage of the utility this gives you.

Davidi2:

--- Quote from: sinisoul on April 11, 2015, 09:57:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rodgerwilco on April 11, 2015, 08:19:54 PM ---Look at the awesome responses due to the new scripting language impl. I think you would have more people willing to write scripts if you just kept it in java.

--- End quote ---

And I think I'll reiterate the question of why don't people get it through their skulls that java is NOT a good language to write all this content in.

--- End quote ---
That's an opinion m8, plenty of big servers have loads of content all in java w/o performance issues (which of course all comes down to how your content is designed, its somewhat funny that the poorer designs actually can show performance increases, and also it has been shown that certain scripting interfaces such as jruby are just flat out slower than pure java), people script to write faster and some people dont weigh that speed over having to learn the language

Of course with that said I personally find it interesting and look forward to trying my hand at writing plugins

sini:
I think once people overcome the Lua learning curve, which is small in my opinion, they will come to find that writing content is a breeze and fun. That's why I released the videos to give an example of this. And funnily enough behind this API you're not limited to Lua but that's what I want to enforce for the server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version