RuneScape Classic > RSC Server Development / Discussion

Official Moparscape RSC Server - General Discussion Topic

Pages: <<< (132/160) >>>

Kryptix:

--- Quote from: Miles` on March 04, 2012, 09:28:30 PM ---Starting a new server isn't going to just refresh your name and make everyone automatically trust you.
The only reason I will probably not play RSCD is because the lagg of English speaking mods, the lack of maturity mods have, and just the simple fact if you do 1 thing wrong outside the game, IE on Mopar forums, there goes your account.

--- End quote ---
I agree but that's what I'm trying to change. At the end of the day anyone you meet online is ultimately a stranger, I've trusted multiple people and been fudgeed over more times than I can count so the only way to resolve things is to remove the power from them whilst still allowing them to help. There's no need for in-game moderators, there's no reason for most of the debates which lead to immaturity because those situations won't occur.

In response to the deletions, I admit I have deleted accounts in the past due to what they've posted on other forums but there's generally always a reason behind this. As I'm sure you're more than aware, a large percentage of players playing RSC private servers will use automation software if they can and pretty much every single person that gets caught will deny they were doing anything wrong because they know it's very difficult to prove. What people didn't know is that on most RuneScape related forums I had contacts that would happily reveal their IP addresses so I could issue mass-bans, these forums included Wartnet, Mopar, google, Sythe, Rahbot, etc. If someone was actively going out of their way to discourage others from playing or were admitting to using bots (or doing anything else that broke RSCEmulation's rules) I did at time simply just mass-delete all associated accounts as they were not the type of players I wanted. I realise now that yes it probably was immature and yes it probably wasn't the best move to make but ultimately when people are saying your game is swarmed with bots it was the logical choice at the time when every IP on Rahbot was released to me. People used to make anonymous accounts on Mopar and literally shit-talk RSCEmulation into the grown whilst playing it all day. They felt fearless behind their anonymity which is why it was quite pleasurable to delete them only for them to come crying a few minutes later.

With all servers that followed Reines' RSCD everyone kind of took his concept (which was wrong in many ways) and continued with it as that was the obvious choice back in the day. When RSCEmulation was started we too went along with the same structure (in-game moderators, the ability to abuse power, etc). We implemented tons of logging to reduce this heavily but that doesn't stop the damage before it happens. With the new system it will be impossible to abuse powers. No one will have any access to do anything malicious except me and I'm trying to be as transparent as possible to demonstrate that yes I have made mistakes but I see RSCEmulation as a practise run.

With the way the new structure is going to be, accounts will be much harder to obtain (invitation only) so people won't be quite as fearless. With the high XP rates of RSCEmulation, selection of available bots combined with how easy it is to register (you don't even require an e-mail address or any validation what-so-ever) it made players simply not care about getting banned and in turn could be as disrespectful, anonymous and childish as they pleased. That problem can be resolved with slower XP rates, harder to obtain accounts and the heavily reduced chance of botting.

All I can really say is to give it a chance; you may be surprised.

Miles`:

In all honesty, I don't like the recovery questions to recover an account. I mean on Runescape they have an option to recover with recovery questions aswell but there is a lot more options available to recover and not just the question/answers. I sure as hell don't remember any of my recovery questions to RS mainly because I don't know what I answered to that specific question back then. I think the account recovery should just be email re settable, if someone is dumb enough to get hacked, then that's their own fault. But for someone to just simply forget/not set their recoveries and lose their account is a bit awkward.

nacional:

specially if you played at a time when recoveries didn't exist. I mean wtf.

fran ta the brah:

--- Quote from: Kryptix on March 04, 2012, 11:01:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: Miles` on March 04, 2012, 09:28:30 PM ---Starting a new server isn't going to just refresh your name and make everyone automatically trust you.
The only reason I will probably not play RSCD is because the lagg of English speaking mods, the lack of maturity mods have, and just the simple fact if you do 1 thing wrong outside the game, IE on Mopar forums, there goes your account.

--- End quote ---
I agree but that's what I'm trying to change. At the end of the day anyone you meet online is ultimately a stranger, I've trusted multiple people and been fudgeed over more times than I can count so the only way to resolve things is to remove the power from them whilst still allowing them to help. There's no need for in-game moderators, there's no reason for most of the debates which lead to immaturity because those situations won't occur.

In response to the deletions, I admit I have deleted accounts in the past due to what they've posted on other forums but there's generally always a reason behind this. As I'm sure you're more than aware, a large percentage of players playing RSC private servers will use automation software if they can and pretty much every single person that gets caught will deny they were doing anything wrong because they know it's very difficult to prove. What people didn't know is that on most RuneScape related forums I had contacts that would happily reveal their IP addresses so I could issue mass-bans, these forums included Wartnet, Mopar, google, Sythe, Rahbot, etc. If someone was actively going out of their way to discourage others from playing or were admitting to using bots (or doing anything else that broke RSCEmulation's rules) I did at time simply just mass-delete all associated accounts as they were not the type of players I wanted. I realise now that yes it probably was immature and yes it probably wasn't the best move to make but ultimately when people are saying your game is swarmed with bots it was the logical choice at the time when every IP on Rahbot was released to me. People used to make anonymous accounts on Mopar and literally shit-talk RSCEmulation into the grown whilst playing it all day. They felt fearless behind their anonymity which is why it was quite pleasurable to delete them only for them to come crying a few minutes later.

With all servers that followed Reines' RSCD everyone kind of took his concept (which was wrong in many ways) and continued with it as that was the obvious choice back in the day. When RSCEmulation was started we too went along with the same structure (in-game moderators, the ability to abuse power, etc). We implemented tons of logging to reduce this heavily but that doesn't stop the damage before it happens. With the new system it will be impossible to abuse powers. No one will have any access to do anything malicious except me and I'm trying to be as transparent as possible to demonstrate that yes I have made mistakes but I see RSCEmulation as a practise run.

With the way the new structure is going to be, accounts will be much harder to obtain (invitation only) so people won't be quite as fearless. With the high XP rates of RSCEmulation, selection of available bots combined with how easy it is to register (you don't even require an e-mail address or any validation what-so-ever) it made players simply not care about getting banned and in turn could be as disrespectful, anonymous and childish as they pleased. That problem can be resolved with slower XP rates, harder to obtain accounts and the heavily reduced chance of botting.

All I can really say is to give it a chance; you may be surprised.

--- End quote ---
plus 1 cant wait hope I get an invite

Kryptix:

--- Quote from: Miles` on March 04, 2012, 11:10:04 PM ---In all honesty, I don't like the recovery questions to recover an account. I mean on Runescape they have an option to recover with recovery questions aswell but there is a lot more options available to recover and not just the question/answers. I sure as hell don't remember any of my recovery questions to RS mainly because I don't know what I answered to that specific question back then. I think the account recovery should just be email re settable, if someone is dumb enough to get hacked, then that's their own fault. But for someone to just simply forget/not set their recoveries and lose their account is a bit awkward.

--- End quote ---
I agree it's not the most ideal system and I would like to improve it for RSCDaemon by automatically checking the registered IP location, asking questions like who is the longest friend on your account, etc. It's quite difficult to ask questions that the owner would know but no-one else would though. I'm open to ideas.

--- Quote from: nacional on March 04, 2012, 11:19:28 PM ---specially if you played at a time when recoveries didn't exist. I mean wtf.

--- End quote ---
After a while you have to draw the line though. It has been announced on the website multiple times and you're reminded to set them every time you login. Even years down the line someone will claim they haven't played since before they were set. Something had to be done because it's quite hard to watch players simply quit because someone recovered their account because they had access to their e-mail for example.

Pages: <<< (132/160) >>>

Go to full version