Welcome, guest! Please login or register.

* Shoutbox

RefreshHistory
    • demon dylan: anyone know moparscape call back link?
      Today at 07:02:51 PM
    • ragnoroker: Brand new server! Less than 1 week old! Nightmare/Raids 1/2/Hydra/Pk Modes/Exp modes/ Unique  Join today - [link]
      July 04, 2020, 06:42:38 PM
    • ragnoroker: Brand new server! Less than 1 week old! Nightmare/Raids 1/2/Hydra/Pk Modes/Exp modes/ Unique  Join today - [link]
      July 04, 2020, 06:42:32 PM
    • iddsyou: PkOwnage 2 worlds, modern OSRS & 2014 server! [link]  Join us on Discord! [link]
      July 04, 2020, 11:07:29 AM
    • slayerpure: kingdom full blown custom server with over 50 custom bosses released last week. play now here     [link]
      July 02, 2020, 08:44:32 PM
    • jgoet: dodian !!
      July 02, 2020, 07:15:44 PM
    • jgoet: join [link]  its back online !!!!
      July 02, 2020, 07:15:37 PM
    • Protojae: RIP moparscape
      July 02, 2020, 03:01:32 PM
    • Protojae: obviously thiswebsite is dead as fudge
      July 02, 2020, 03:01:14 PM
    • ragnoroker: RuneGuild has just been released! 1 Hour old, Come join the fun - [link]
      June 26, 2020, 02:14:21 PM
    • ragnoroker: RuneGuild has just been released! 1 Hour old, Come join the fun - [link]
      June 26, 2020, 02:14:08 PM
      June 26, 2020, 02:14:00 PM
    • Fox2007: rune-nexus.com - FREE advertising, SEO optimized - no registration required
      June 26, 2020, 06:21:47 AM
    • Decimate Returns: trailer video posted for Project Decimate, Official Launch is in a few weeks! watch here: [youtube]LBorsdI-k1Y[/youtube]
      June 24, 2020, 07:18:03 PM
    • slayerpure: 1 week old rsps we need players and potential staff, customs and goku/vegeta sets play here!    [link] join our discord [link]
      June 24, 2020, 05:23:46 PM
    • Decimate Returns: Project Decimate is still in BETA: join our discord to keep up with the new content added: [link]
      June 24, 2020, 01:09:23 PM
    • Decimate Returns: Project Decimate is still in BETA: join our discord to keep up with the new content added: [link]
      June 24, 2020, 01:09:03 PM
    • dan v jad: PkOwnage OSRS Great server great community!  Join us on Discord! [link]  Download: [link]
      June 21, 2020, 09:23:28 AM
    • Lens: Sick Custom RSPS - CrystalPS. Join us on Discord. [link]
      June 20, 2020, 04:35:44 PM
    • Shady Aftermath: check out skyfire317.com gott 3 custom skills, afk zones
      June 19, 2020, 10:22:22 PM

Author Topic: Critique my company's website  (Read 4314 times)

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    Critique my company's website
    « on: February 23, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »
    Runescape Gambling

OfflineSoulcist

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    Re: Critique my company's website
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
    It's a pretty straight to the point website that advertises what you're doing, how you're going to do it, and what your outcome plans to be. I will say though, as far as your portfolio selects, how about add some example work in the pages? I can see the small images you have before clicking on the links but they're too small to notice any work that might advertise the company more and so on.

OfflinestCky

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
    Tidy design, isn't responsive but I'm sure you're getting there - happy to help with any of this stuff too.

I'd say you've got a lot of text on your home page. The "Website Design" section I think is a good opportunity to cut out some of that text in place of some kind of graphic or interactivity explaining your work process i.e:

"The process of us creating a website is painless and simple. We'll have a meeting where we discuss your requirements for the site, you give us any content that you want on the site, and then we get to work creating it whilst keeping you in the loop every single step of the way."

This text could be turned into an infographic or a flow diagram to show the steps you take in a neat "cool designy" way - that would mean quicker information to the reader and less big blocks of text, which can bore the user! With the portfolio section right below, you could then ditch the "If you're interested in seeing ... please feel free to take a look at our portfolio below." paragraph as it's right there below.

I like the "You?" portfolio item hehe :p

You're missing section indicators - If I'm stupid how do I know I'm on the about section? Or how do I know I'm on the web design section? Maybe you could bold the navigation menu text when a user clicks or scrolls to this position. It's generally good practice to indicate where the user is currently situated on the site.

I like the site so far, will be keeping an eye on it :)

HOLD CTRL AND TYPE "WTF" FOR ℱ𝓪𝓷𝓬𝔂 𝓦𝓣ℱ

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:53:40 PM »
    Interestingly I've probably spent between 3 and 5 hours working on a gif to show the development process but I can't get one that looks natural enough yet :(

Thanks for all the feedback though, I'll definitely be taking it into account.

OfflinestCky

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »
    A flow chart is a very popular and I think a very helpful way to display a visual representation of a step-by-step process, these links below have some images, they are a bit ugly though, I'm failing to find a good looking example right now :( Maybe you could have a bit of fun with your own if you decided to.

https://paper-leaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/process2560.jpg

http://www.redplanetdesign.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/webdesign-process.gif
    https://webdesinz.com/about-webdesinz/
    https://mcstechnologies.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/web-design-process-mcs-technologies-ltd-leicester-mcstech-co-uk.gif
    HOLD CTRL AND TYPE "WTF" FOR ℱ𝓪𝓷𝓬𝔂 𝓦𝓣ℱ

Offlinejustaguy

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »
    Looking pretty good so far. The only thing that was somewhat annoying was the massive background image being loaded. I loaded it up on Firefox and profiled it with Firebug got these results:

I suggest putting something else in place of that large image for mobile users as this can not only slow down the load time of your website but it is also costing them a relatively large amount of mobile data to load it (personally I find websites that use up alot of my mobile data for really no useful reason is quite annoying). Since you don't appear to be using the entire image, why not crop it? :)
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:55:49 PM by justaguy »
    RIP

OfflineSoulcist

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
    Oh wow, that's crazy... lol'd.

Offlinevortex

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:00:59 AM »
    also store photos (such as the one justaguy mentioned) as jpegs instead of pngs, as jpg is the intended format for photos and should reduce the file's size dramatically

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:14:54 AM »
    I'd completely overlooked the size of that image - thanks! I've now saved it as a JPG, could you please tell me how much of an effect it's had on loading times?

Offlinesk8rdude461

• MOPARSCAPE WAS HACKED
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:24:33 AM »
    Nearly half the time as justaguy posted:

OfflineLin

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:54:53 AM »
    Overall it's a really nice design. I like it :) But a little bit of extra eye candy would go a long way. Simply making the navigation links respond to mouse hovering makes the site feel alive and it's a very simple feature to add.
    <ry60003333> i was too busy waiting for this dollar i found on the floor to respawn
    <Avail> so it's pretty cool to throw my penis around
    A tree falls out of the bird's nest.

:palm:

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:25 AM »
    Overall it's a really nice design. I like it :) But a little bit of extra eye candy would go a long way. Simply making the navigation links respond to mouse hovering makes the site feel alive and it's a very simple feature to add.

I've added some basic animations to the menu bar.

stCky, do you know where I can find a tutorial on how to colour the navigation links based on the user's current position?

OfflineBowser jr

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45:09 AM »
    Ambokile: What exactly do you mean by colour the navigation links based on the user's current position?

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:19 AM »
    Ambokile: What exactly do you mean by colour the navigation links based on the user's current position?

When the user has scrolled to the portfolio section, for example, the portfolio link would be a different colour. Is there a non-JavaScript way to do it?

OfflineTree

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:16 AM »
    I award you one 'Ambokile' coin:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:55:21 AM by Tree »
    <_^_> this community has really collapsed
    <_^_> it is like a shitty version of friendster for washed up nerds

Offlinex Albi x

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
    I have flagged this post as being offensive and of a sexual nature.

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:31 AM »
    I award you one 'Ambokile' coin:

Thanks, I will add it to my collection.

OfflineBowser jr

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »

When the user has scrolled to the portfolio section, for example, the portfolio link would be a different colour. Is there a non-JavaScript way to do it?
    Why not use JavaScript, you are already using it for smooth scrooling when clicking on links on the nav-bar?

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »

Why not use JavaScript, you are already using it for smooth scrooling when clicking on links on the nav-bar?

The links still work without JavaScript so I'd prefer to make them colour without JavaScript too but obviously if there's no way to do that then I'll use JS.

OfflineDavidi2

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 11:19:09 AM »
    Font on the main menu is a bit weird, might just need to be bold or somethin idunno

Not sure what happened here:

Something not working properly?

Other notes unrelated to the actual design:

Slogan shouldn't be plural, people looking for this type of work usually have an idea they need created.

IMHO the 'About' paragraph will do no good for your company. I would reword it to not emphasize on the fact that you are an amateur company created for the purposes of competition, doesn't really give faith to potential customers, nomsain? Write about how everyone is so into their jobs and you met eachother and were like ya lets start a company to continue doing what we love, blahblahblah, something like that. Just currently if I saw that site and read that paragraph I'd even wonder if you were actually selling anything or if this was just a demo site for competition.

"we're right for eachother" each other is always two words

A lot of the wording is really strange in these paragraphs, if you want I could go through it completely and mark it all, but since Im not even sure if you want critique in those areas I'll leave it be for now
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:28:44 AM by Davidi2 »

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
    Font on the main menu is a bit weird, might just need to be bold or somethin idunno

Not sure what happened here:

Something not working properly?

Other notes unrelated to the actual design:

Slogan shouldn't be plural, people looking for this type of work usually have an idea they need created.

IMHO the 'About' paragraph will do no good for your company. I would reword it to not emphasize on the fact that you are an amateur company created for the purposes of competition, doesn't really give faith to potential customers, nomsain? Write about how everyone is so into their jobs and you met eachother and were like ya lets start a company to continue doing what we love, blahblahblah, something like that. Just currently if I saw that site and read that paragraph I'd even wonder if you were actually selling anything or if this was just a demo site for competition.

"we're right for eachother" each other is always two words

A lot of the wording is really strange in these paragraphs, if you want I could go through it completely and mark it all, but since Im not even sure if you want critique in those areas I'll leave it be for now

Not sure what's happening with the portfolio previews. What browser are you using?

Originally I didn't mention Young Enterprise at all but I had two or three people analyse the site and they said to mention it as it sets us apart.

OfflineDavidi2

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:49 PM »
    The preview was working when I first visited the site, then something about switching tabs or opening it again and it showed that. Refreshing fixed. Just using the latest Firefox.

And idunno, who did you have analyze it? Unless that competition is really famous and a big deal, if it was me I wouldn't apply my brand to a "young business" anything

EDIT -

Another thing with the design, the contact us part really should be changed. Not sure how exactly, but:

Doesn't look very good
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:57:18 PM by Davidi2 »

OfflineAmbokile

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
    The preview was working when I first visited the site, then something about switching tabs or opening it again and it showed that. Refreshing fixed. Just using the latest Firefox.

And idunno, who did you have analyze it? Unless that competition is really famous and a big deal, if it was me I wouldn't apply my brand to a "young business" anything

EDIT -

Another thing with the design, the contact us part really should be changed. Not sure how exactly, but:

Doesn't look very good

Quite a few more established web developers. The competition is a big deal in the UK, every school has a team or two.

OfflineDavidi2

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
    Web developers aren't necessarily the best when it comes to writing and marketing. I've done intake auditing and even specifically marketing writing critique, but this is just my opinion from my perspective putting myself in the shoes of a potential customer. If the competition is something you think potential customers would be impressed by (which I can't really attest to, living in the USA and never hearing of them), I'd probably say something like this:

"Emphasise.me was formed following a successful run in the Young Enterprise Competition of (include month if its monthly) 2013.  Our team earned two best presentation awards and was a (or 'the' if it was just one) runner up for overall achievement. After such a motivational (? other word maybe) success, we decided to use our personal expertise to streamline our team and take our company to the professional level (basically saying 'we know that was just a competition, now we are a serious business'). Now we strive to create ___________ (some sort of pitch here, 'we make great affordable websites for blahblahblah' etc)

<Insert other non-competition based facts about company: how you got your first job as a company ie. explaining the portfolio in a professional way; perhaps team bio>"

The main issue is just that your entire company bio is about the competition. If you're wanting to be a real serious professional company, you can't appear like you're clinging to this one competition success and then expecting people to be inspired by that.

EDIT - I didn't even realize you could click on samantha's picture to get taken to her bio, that should be made clearer in the design imo
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:38:10 PM by Davidi2 »

OfflineBowser jr

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »
    EDIT - I didn't even realize you could click on samantha's picture to get taken to her bio, that should be made clearer in the design imo
    Good point. I feel that he should have bios for all or none of them. Singling Samantha out seems just weird. 

OfflineRevengePK

• View Profile
      • RSPSDesigns
    « Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 11:06:27 PM »
    I'd like to see you add some responsive-y-ness to this.

Copyright © 2017 MoparScape. All rights reserved.